Mother Sues Scouts, Lds Church Over Son's Death

- Mormon Doctrine Studies - Posted: 30th Jun, 2006 - 1:30am

Text RPG Play Text RPG ?

23rd Jun, 2006 - 4:34pm / Post ID: #

There are certain type of activities (like camps and activities surrounding water) that I am not keen about with children or youth, specially because the ones I have seen planned have not taken the precautions that are necessary. This is a very unfortunate case and I hope justice may be served.

SALT LAKE CITY A woman whose son died in a fall during a Boy Scout hike in Zion National Park is suing the Boy Scouts of America, the Utah National Parks Council and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.

Ruth Jones' 14-year-old son, Kristoffer, was visiting his grandmother in Provo in June 2004. During the visit, Bonneville Third Ward members, ward leaders and Boy Scout leaders invited Kristoffer to join a Boy Scout ward outing.

Kristoffer was a member of the LDS church and a Boy Scout in his home state of California.

Jones contends in the lawsuit, filed Monday in 4th District Court, there was negligence in the selection of that particular hike to Angels Landing and a failure to safeguard against the ``ordinary expected impulsive behavior'' of children. The overlook spans two cliff tops with 800- to 1,000-foot sheer drops.

``There are some places you take kids and some you don't,'' said Provo attorney Lynn Harris, who represents Jones in the lawsuit. ``There is a real question as to whether they should have been there.''

Sponsored Links:
25th Jun, 2006 - 1:41am / Post ID: #

Death Sons Church Lds Scouts Sues Mother

It's a horribly sad story, but I am afraid that I do not understand why sueing so many people makes sense. Yes, it was absolutely a horrible thing to have happened, but at the same time I do not understand why parents always feel that they are in no way responsible for their children. I do not want this to sound like I am putting the blame of this horrible accident on the poor mother, but -- He was visiting his Grandmother, did his Grandmother know that he was off with this group? He was off before the group was supposed to be off. The accident was senseless as all accidents are, but I always feel that so much litigation is sometimes just as senseless.

Post Date: 28th Jun, 2006 - 10:26am / Post ID: #

A Friend

Mother Sues Scouts, Lds Church Over Son's Death Studies Doctrine Mormon

Why sue the church? It's not part of the BSA. It encourages BSA and they hold many of the BSA meetings at LDS chapels, but it's a whole different organization. If her son made a mistake, or accidentally fell, why is she blaming entire organizations? Money will not bring back your son. Why seek money when you lost a life? sad.gif They're two completely different voids that need to be filled.

28th Jun, 2006 - 12:30pm / Post ID: #

Sometimes people sue because they are angry and use it as a way to 'punish' someone for their loss. It may not be about the money, but to serve as a reminder to all involved in watching over the children of others that:

1. You should not take kids to certain places where they may injure themselves
2. Kids need more supervision than a passing glance

I have personally witnessed on LDS activities children running off into the night on their own while everyone slept and some almost drowning in beach activities - so yes, it happens.

Also, note that BSA is officially recognized in the Church and people are actually given assignments to organize and integrate it into other Church activities, so to say it is totally separate will be a mistake.

Post Date: 30th Jun, 2006 - 12:56am / Post ID: #

A Friend

It is a seperate organization from our church. Non-members can become scout leaders or scouts, and we don't preach the gospel in scouts (by default). It's also wrong to sue an entire organization over something that was a case with a small group of people. Yes, they should have paid more attention and been more careful, but we don't know whether or not this situation could have been really helped, and it's not being helped with a lawsuit.

30th Jun, 2006 - 1:30am / Post ID: #

QUOTE (Dbclayton)
It is a seperate organization from our church.

You are not one of those types that sticks on a point are you? You already claimed it is a separate organization, but wether it is or is not is not the meat of the matter, the point is it is sanctioned by the Church. I am not justifying anything in this case and I doubt anyone else can for a mother who has lost a child. When you are a parent and it is your child lost to an activity then you can talk the talk and walk the walk.

Make sure to SUBSCRIBE for FREE to JB's Youtube Channel!

> TOPIC: Mother Sues Scouts, Lds Church Over Son's Death

▲ TOP

International Discussions Coded by: BGID®
ALL RIGHTS RESERVED Copyright © 1999-2024
Disclaimer Privacy Report Errors Credits
This site uses Cookies to dispense or record information with regards to your visit. By continuing to use this site you agree to the terms outlined in our Cookies used here: Privacy / Disclaimer,